Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thinking about my life -

While I was up late last night thumbing through the lawsuits people have filed against the city and researching the nuances of the bankruptcy code as applied to municipalities, I got to thinking: About my life, about the great people I have known, and about the changes in me since I took office. This mayor’s job is the only one I’ve ever been able to hold for more than 18 months, but it’s given me something I call, “perspective”.

Take Curt Geiger. Some of you know he works for a Japanese company – people he refers to privately, and affectionately I think, as “Mr. Nagasaki and the Hiroshimas.” Perspective: Before I became mayor I might have seen a man who kneels on all fours to people with bowl haircuts – people who you have to turn upside down like rabbits just to tell what sex they are. But now, I can see that it’s these good people’s chopsticks that butter this great man’s bread. Perspective: You may say that you know somebody who works at Kosmos Burger who manages more people than Curt does, and you may be right. I on the other hand, see a man who is an actual “Vice President.” I know many such men. Do you?

Perspective: You may say that nobody supports the gondola. But that’s because you see only the small fry living their little lives from West 24th Street to Shadow Valley. I on the other hand see the cement people, the gravel people, the asphalt people, as well as both Chambers of Commerce – the white one and the Mexican one. And I see that fully 98% of the people who have an angle on the gondola, are in support of it. I can also see the contractors who visualize the vast potential in taxpayer-capitalized projects and who have the foresight to offer Jazz tickets and condo stays to elected officials who can share in that vision.

Perspective: It’s the 98% who matter, because it’s they who will give me a job if I get voted out. Will any of you? The gondola will go in: Alongside you, or under your nose, or if need be, up it.

BTW. This is the new picture the SE is using for me. They said the one they had before was scaring small children.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Um, this is Lola. I don't have a room anymore...but I'm really tiny just like you.

So I was wonderin if you and me could just fit in Mr Johnson's Hummer?

My number is still on the wall in the men's restroom at the Texaco. I'll be waitin to hear from ya.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Mayor Matthew Godfrey Parody said...

I'll check with Mark and get back to you, or should I say, I'll get back to the Texaco men's room. Keep the fires burnin' trix.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home